You're not about that extravagant lifestyle of Gucci, MCM, and Louis Vuitton, but you'd love to have a clean style. You've been going to the same look for years with skinny jeans paired with T-shirts or vests - even though your grandma keeps telling you to spice it up a bit.
But hey, if you can't afford a new wardrobe, why don't you try out a few simple tricks with the one piece in your wardrobe?
We all know, ladies and gents (aren't we?), there's nothing like putting on an oversized hoodie after coming back from work or school. The comfort is unequaled! It's not all plain-sailing, though; let us explain the art behind wearing one.
Origins of the Hoodie
The humble hoodie, form-fitting sweater, and ubiquitous part of modern fashion. More than just a fad or passing trend, the hooded sweatshirt has been around since the 1920s when polo players wore it to keep them warm between matches and protect their hair from touching the ponies.
Hoodies didn't take long to make their mark on popular culture. The Great Gatsby was published in 1925 and featured Jay Gatsby rocking a cream-colored hoodie while playing tennis. Even today, his shirtless attire might be considered obscene, but his garb would probably be seen as little more than preppy.
Hoodies continued to grow in popularity throughout the 20th century without any significant interruption. The only significant change came in the 1970s when they became associated with criminals and largely fell out of fashion until rappers like Biggie Smalls re-popularized them.
They've since become fashion trends and an integral part of all walks of life. Sports teams wear them, businesses market their brands on them, and schools provide students with ones emblazoned with the school logo. They're so prevalent that it doesn't occur to us these days to question why we wear them or where they come from.
What Makes a Good Hoodie?
The hoodie. Every guy's best friend and every girl's worst nightmare (because let's face it, not everyone looks good in a sweatshirt). There are so many kinds of hoodies out there that sometimes it can be hard to figure out which one you want.
* How heavy should your hoodie be?
* What fabrics are even available to create your custom hoodie these days?
All this information is vital if you're willing to drop some dough on a new piece of clothing. Do you know what else is important when you spend money on anything? Getting what you pay for.
How to Wear a Hoodie?
So, how to style hoodies?
First Things First: Know Your Hoodie
We know you love your plain white tee to the core, but let's try something different this time. Go for a clean-cut black hoodie with an oversized fit and wear it under your trench coat or denim jacket. You can even roll up the long sleeves, so it gives off that cool boyish look. To top it all off, go for ripped jeans and lace-up boots!
Roll Up Your Hoodie
* Do as Rihanna does. Take that oversized hoodie of yours (you must have noticed) and roll the sleeves up! It will give off that preppy kind of feel, which is totally in right now. You can even add a blazer or a waistcoat on top.
* Another way to spruce up your oversized hoodie is by rolling the sleeves from the center and pulling them towards the bottom. This will give off a different look which you can try with a pair of statement shoes and ripped jeans for maximum effect!
* Last but not least, you could also roll up your hoodie from the end and pull it down in front - giving off that hot boy look, isn't it? It's perfect for casual events during summertime when you want to look cool AF.
Make the Hoodie Work for You
* We have been talking about wearing an oversized hoodie in this post, so why don't we work it into a dress? Yes, that's right! You will need your favorite hoodie and a pair of black tights. Pair them together, and you're good to go!
* You could also try wearing the hoodie as a skirt. We know it sounds weird, but all you have to do is belt it with any piece of clothing you think would look good on top of the oversized hoodie.
Wear it with a Blazer
Take that tired old blazer hanging in your closet for way too long now. Add an edge to its style by pairing it with an oversized leather jacket or wearing one with your favorite tee underneath it.
Take the Oversized Sweater and Transform it into a Crop Top
Yes, you read that right! One of the most stylish ways to wear an oversized sweater is by transforming it into a trendy street-style crop top. Find the edge of your sweater and cut. Be sure to add fringe finishing off on the edges, so it looks good from every angle.
Pairing this with some ripped jeans or shorts will give off that perfect cool-girl look! And well, what more do we need than that?
Wear it with Heels
We bet you love those sneakers to death, but now strike a pose, girl! We're talking all about pairing your favorite hoodie with heels. Whether it's flats or stilettos does not matter! And the best part is, you don't even have to worry about matching neutral colors and all that. Just pick a comfortable one from your wardrobe and go for it!
* The first way you can wear them is by pairing the hoodie with a pair of combat boots. Rocking this look would be simple as pie. Throw on some ripped black jeans or shorts with your favorite oversized full zip hoodie, and there you have it! Perfection at its best.
* The other way to rock an oversized sweatshirt with heels is by going suave, baby! Go for a classy black dress that goes all the way up to your knees. You can choose between high-heeled shoes or pumps depending on how tall you are. If this gets too tough for you guys to pull off, you can always go for high-heeled boots instead!
Hoodie Fitment Rules
FITTED: When your hoodie hugs your torso like a second skin and clings on to every curve you got, it's time to say hello to the fitted look! You can pair these up with some ripped jeans or shorts. Tucking in the top layer will give off that chic kind of appeal.
OVER-SIZED: Let us break down what makes an oversized hoodie so popular among fashion enthusiasts. It gives off that casual yet classy look that is perfect for almost any occasion. If you want to wear one then which way should you go? Well, try wearing an oversized hoodie with wide-leg pants like the lotus pants - perfect for summertime!
TUNIC: Wearing one of your oversized sweaters in Tunic style is another great way to make them look stylish. You can pair it up with some ripped denim or lace overlay skirt. Just be sure that it reaches down to your ankles. That's all you need to know about how to wear an oversized hoodie like a boss girl!
There are different types of fabrics that you can go for depending on the weather. Here's a list of them:
COTTON: This is one of the most popular materials used in hoodies. They provide warmth without making it too heavy on the body.
FLEECE: Fleece fabrics are best suited to wear during the winter season. They keep us stay warm and give off that perfect cozy kind of look. It is easy to maintain them too. All you need to do is wash in cold water with like colors and tumble dry!
CANVAS: Canvas fabrics are durable yet easy to maintain.
COTTON POLY BLEND: Polyester blends are the ideal pick for people who want their clothing items to be stretchable. They come in handy during strenuous activities like yoga or working out!
Hoodie Do's and Don'ts
* Wear your hoodie with a pair of jeans, ripped or not; it doesn't matter.
* If you've got the height to pull it off, go for oversized sweater dresses. They look elegant yet give that casual kind of feel. You can wear them with flats too!
* Not feeling like wearing that perfect dress? Then why not go for a romper instead? Add some statement accessories like cute stud earrings, and there you have it - you're ready to take on the day!
* Never wear an oversized hoodie in the presence of your crush. We all know how embarrassing it would be if they get to know that you're wearing your grandpa's oversized sweater.
* Avoid wearing hoodies with the wordings and logos plastered all over them. They scream out loud and make you look like a guy instead of a girl!
* Even if it gets cold outside, avoid pairing up your sweatshirt with sweatpants when going out in public - jeans look so much better!
Shirt Over Hoodie
If your new hoodies are made out of thinner fabrics, wearing them like regular clothes will give off an athletic vibe. To avoid looking like you just finished practicing soccer, try adding another layer. This could be anything from a scarf to a button-down shirt.
The best part about wearing shirts over top of your sporty-looking sweatshirts is that it gives you warmth without sacrificing style.
Jackets Over Hoodies
One of the most common ways to wear a hoodie is with a jacket. For example, a leather motorcycle jacket looks great over the top of most hoodies, and it's one of the best ways to stand out from the crowd! Just make sure that you don't wear any visible logos or drawstrings since they might disrupt the clean-cut aesthetic that this look is going for.
One of the most incredible ways to rock your new sweatshirts is by wearing them untucked, but untucking your shirt isn't as simple as it sounds! You need to find clothes that are fit perfectly if you want them to look good when left untucked.
We recommend using clothes that fit like a glove because they show off all your nice curves and make you look better overall. Not only that but if your clothes are too baggy, then untucking them will make you look like a slob!